

St Catharine's College MCR meeting minutes, 29th of September 2020

Present:

Than Dar, black, minority and ethnic student officer

Nathaniel Tye, computing officer

Dora Robinson, green officer

Nadene Dermody, green officer

Charlotte Guffick, welfare officer

Souradip Mookerjee, co-president

Charlotte Guffick, welfare officer

Jess Forsdyke, co-president

Aisling O'Kane, education officer

Beth Cooper, women's and non-binary officer

Callum Watson, secretary

Alex Eaton, treasurer

Apologies From:

Frey Kalus, LGBTQ+ officer

Moritz Müller, formal hall officer

Felix von Horstig, food and drink officer

Anna Hutchinson, social secretary

Green

Dora: Apologies for not having masks yet.

Dora: We met an organisation that helps with energy efficiency in the higher education sector.

Dora: Looking to put up some resources to e.g. make it easier for people to know where to shop. Also been working on the mature students' event.

Nadene: We're looking to get compost bins in accommodation.

Nadene: Can people please send in their sizes for committee stash.

Dora: Also thinking of having a laundry detergent refill station. Churchill College has one, but we're not sure how it might work with covid. Could be a good way of not wasting plastic.

Jess: College are wanting to set up a shop for essentials, so it might be good to speak to the member of staff in charge of that (Rob).

Nadene: Is there an accommodation officer on the committee at the moment?

Jess: No, though we've been doing some accommodation work anyway.

Dora: They've not been very good at sorting out accommodation for disabled students.

Than: *Daily Bread Co-operative* sells stuff in bulk so might be good for the detergent.

Co-Presidents

Jess: We have 141 new grad students. We have some 4th-year students in Rus-

sell Street, and also some grads in South Green Lodge.

Jess: We're thinking of putting a disabled students' rep on the committee. We'll need to have an open meeting to discuss this with the whole MCR.

Souradip: Testing: we'll need someone at each bit of college accommodation to help transport the tests each week.

Jess: Supposedly the tests the uni do are batch tests, with a fairly high false positive rate, but they can help point you to more accurate test.

Social

Dora: Which freshers' events should we help with?

Jess: There aren't too many things that'll need your help, but come along to anything you want.

Jess: If you want to help at workshops then that would be great. Numbers can't get too high at in-person events.

Jess: We've checked with college, and all our freshers' week events should be ok with the covid rules.

Polly: College said they were happy with it all.

Jess: College are having about 10 people in for a time matriculating, and giving them a fancy packed lunch.

Liberation Workshops

Than: When would work best for these? Friday at 7pm?

Than: I'll get in contact with **Jess** and **Nadene**.

Jess: Do you want to do these in person or online? The JCR are doing theirs in person in small groups, as this would count as an educational matter and not be subject to the 'rule of 6'.

Charlotte: What the largest-capacity room we have?

Jess: Out of places likely available, probably the Ramsden Room at 20 people.

Than: I'd rather do them online, to make sure it's safe.

Beth: Are we having a separate consent workshop or will it be part of the same one?

Charlotte: I'd rather it was separate.

Charlotte: Google Meet can be better than MS Teams for accessibility, because of auto-captioning.

Souradip: You can log into it using a University account.

Beth: It would be good to have as many attendees as possible.

Charlotte: We could record it and send it out, to maximise the reach like we do with yoga.

Food and Drink/Formal

Jess: Picnic should be fine to go ahead.

Polly: We're not sure what will happen with formals this year.

Charlotte: What's happening at the picnic.

Jess: We'll get a load of food in bags, which the parents can collect, and then they should disperse and do their own respective picnics.

Charlotte: My lab is making hand sanitiser, so I might be able to supply some.
Polly: There can be legal issues with this sort of thing.

Education

Aisling: We're just doing one speaker per week, given it's on Zoom and people seem to not be willing to go to long talks on Zoom.

Aisling: It's quite hard to get fellows, but I've got three fellows and five grads.

Aisling: I was wanting to do a careers development talk every month, but I can send out information about a series of courses.

Souradip: Make sure it's on the MCR calendar.

Jess: Once the freshers' week calendar is sorted it would be good to send all the important MCR links out together.

Souradip: Be careful about persistent links, unauthorised people can gain access and 'Zoom bomb'.

Treasurer

Alex: We've just finished adding up last year's accounts. We made about a £300 loss last year, which wasn't as bad as expected given we lost a third of our income. Just send me the budget for any other events. If we have 141 students that should be good for our income. Costs are uncertain though, but likely to be relatively low.

Jess: There are a lot of 4th-years this year, so we have even more new MCR members.

Nathaniel: It might be worth us checking if there is anything perishable in the MCR cupboard.

Secretary

Callum: We'll need to have a by-election for unfilled committee roles. Additionally, a referendum on the constitution and possibly another election on that new role.

Welfare

Charlotte: We're still having 10 yoga sessions per term.

We're re-starting distributing sexual health supplies. It'll have to be distributed to each person to avoid people touching the same basket.

Jess: Might still be able to re-fill baskets if they're used by a single household.

Any other matters

Callum: Do we have any update on college keys?

Jess: We're still trying to get them to cut more, but they say it's non-urgent as they're switching over to card access.

Callum: They've been saying that for three years, and you still can't get into the bike shed without a college key.