You are not logged in. Login
Home » Current Students » Welfare


General welfare contacts

Although university life is exciting, it can prove to be demanding and stressful for everyone. Work pressure, moving to a new city/country, meeting new people and experiencing new cultures are just a few things that can be worrying. This can often be difficult to manage alone, and can make it hard to focus on your work or enjoy Cambridge. If you ever find it hard to cope, and/or you find your personal health and welfare being negatively affected, please do not hesitate to reach out to one of the following individuals, all of whom are more than willing to talk to you and support you:

Dr. David Bainbridge Graduate Tutor
Dr. Fatima Santos Graduate Tutor
Dr. Niamh Gallagher Graduate Tutor
Angela Abbott Graduate Administrator
Rev. Ally Barrett College Chaplain
Porters' Lodge
Phone: 01223 338300
William Lan MCR Welfare Officer
College Head of Welfare

Healthcare and Medical Contacts

Janette Dougal is our Community Health Practitioner (

Phone number: 01223 338327

For medical emergencies, phone 999

For non-emergency health advice, the NHS 111 Service can be reached by dialing 111 from any phone, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. This service should be used if you need urgent medical advice but it is not a life-threatening situation.

For the University Dental Service, dial 012223 332860 or visit

Click here to request sexual health supplies (can be delivered to your pidge in a discreet envelope):

Select University-wide and City-provided Services

In the first instance, help is available within the College. However, you may prefer to contact any one of the following parties concerning private matters (please note that most phone lines are not open 24 hours):

Student Advice

  • The University of Cambridge Welfare and Wellbeing Website ( holds a wide range of information on student welfare, including information on GP's, dental practices and health and safety. The website also contains a link to Dignity@Study, a set of guidance notes aimed to give advice to students who feel they are being harassed or bullied (

  • The Student Advice Service is an organization that offers free, impartial and confidential advice to all University of Cambridge students. They offer advice on matters including finance, accommodation, disabilities, personal safety, sexual health, drugs and much more.
    Phone: 01223 746999
    Web address:


  • The University Counselling Service provides services with professionally trained counsellors and associates to both staff and students of the University. Most problems, including anxiety, stress, depression, relationship difficulties and sexual problems can be discussed with counselors.
    Phone: 01223 322865
    Web address:

  • The College has resources available to students who need longer term counselling than that provided by the University Counselling Service. The Senior Tutor, Dr Holly Canuto (, and the College Community Health Practitioner, Janette Dougal (, can help students with referrals to private counsellers, as well as advise on financial assistance from the College for counselling.

Listening Support

  • Nightline (7pm-7am in full term) is a student-run listening support and information service for Cambridge and Anglia Ruskin Universities. You can talk to the volunteers at Nightline about anything. They will not judge you or give you any advice, but will give you plenty of space and time to talk through your problems. Nightline is fully anonymous and confidential.
    Phone numbers:
    01223 744444
    01223 367575
    Web address:

  • Samaritans are a charity who listen to you and talk you through your concerns and troubles. They will not give you advice or make any decisions for you, but will allow you to gather your thoughts and express your feelings freely.
    Phone: 08457 909090
    Web address:


  • Cambridge University Students' Union (CUSU) has an LGBT+ welfare officer who is available to talk to you about any questions or queries you may have. You don't need to identify as LGBT+ to contact them.

  • CUSU also run an LGBT+ Campaign aimed at supporting LGBT+ students and improving life people of all sexualities and gender identities at the University. Their committee plans events and social gatherings. They also operate a number of email lists and social media groups to help people get involved and discuss LGBT+ matters.

  • SexYOUality is a non-university-affiliated organisation that offers weekly drop in sessions and 1-2-1 support in Cambridgeshire for under 25s. The 1-2-1 sessions are set in a location that suits you, so you can feel comfortable enough to talk through what's on your mind. SexYOUality will also help get access to other services if needed.
    Phone: 01223 369508
    Web address:


  • The Disabilities Resource Centre provides a confidential and accessible service for disabled students. They offer advice and support to students on matters including examination arrangements, academic resources, supervisions, Dyslexia assessment, Asperger Syndrome assessment and many others.
    Phone: 01223 332301
    Web address:

Sexual Harassment

St Catharine's provides an environment in which all of our members feel safe and secure at all times. Therefore, it is expected that all members of the College community be treated with respect, courtesy, and consideration. Sexual harassment is a form of discrimination under the Equality Act 2010 and it is a criminal offence. St Catharine's will not tolerate any form of sexual harassment. All reports of sexual harassment will be taken very seriously and the College will take appropriate disciplinary action as required .

The College is committed to providing support for students who feel they have been sexually abused. If you have been subjected to any type of sexual abuse or are concerned about someone's behaviour, you can approach any of the Tutors, the Dean, the Chaplain, the College Nurse, the MCR Welfare Officer, or any senior member of the College; choose whoever you feel most comfortable talking to. At first, the College will try to resolve the issue informally. All cases will be treated with strict confidentiality and the senior member of the College will advise you on what your options are and how to proceed with the appropriate course of action. If the complaint is not resolved at this stage, you may choose to lodge a formal complaint. No pressure will be put on you to do so, but if a formal complaint is filed, appropriate disciplinary and/or legal action will be taken.

If a student is physically injured, raped, or assaulted, they should seek medical help immediately. The student is also strongly encouraged to inform the police. Internal action by the College may still take place whether or not the police decide to proceed. However, in some cases there may be a delay whilst police investigations are carried out. There is a Police Liaison Officer assigned to St Catharine's.

St Catharine's policy on sexual harassment can be found here:

The policy is made in accordance with the University's Dignity@Study policy, which contains more advice on how to deal with bullying and harassment (

Further information, including a comprehensive list of contacts, can be found in the following PDF document (

  • Cambridge Rape Crisis Centre (CRCC) is a confidential listening, support and information service run by women for women and girls who have experienced sexual abuse of any kind. CRCC also offer email support and up to 20 sessions of counselling.
    Phone: 01223 245888
    Web address:

  • SurvivorsUK help and support men who have been sexually abused at any point in their lives. SurvivorsUK also offer individual counselling as well as group therapy in London. Web chat and SMS chat is available.
    Phone: 02035 983898
    Web address:

Confidentiality Policy

St Catharine's College MCR Confidentiality Policy can be found here

MCR, St Catharine’s College, Cambridge CB2 1RL, UK
Made with and node.js by souradip. Privacy policy. Data protection (GDPR) policy.